Mt. Pleasant, SC

November 2010
I'm a big Dorothea Benton Frank fan! A friend of mine, Whitney, has introduced me to her books back in July. I always see Whitney carrying D. B. Frank's books around, so I wanted to read one of them to see if I liked it. I picked "Sullivan's Island" first.  I could not put the book down!!! I read it in two days! I took bunch of potty breaks those two days (locked myself in the bathroom!), I couldn't wait to read another chapter. I think we had chicken nuggets for supper two days in a row! The kids didn't complain! LOL...Her books are amazing! I love her writing style, characters and story lines. You feel like you are part of the book, part of the family. All her stories take place in Charleston area, on a plantation or in a beautiful Lowcountry home. You can almost smell the salty air of sea, feel the sand under your feet, and see yourself crossing the dunes for a nice, long walk on the beach. There is one restaurant that she mentions a lot in her books, it's called "Station 22" on Sullivans Island. I wanted to go so bad! So I loaded the kids up on Saturday morning and we spent the whole day in Mt. Pleasant. Frank was at a football game in Greenville NC, with Jason and couple of other friends. We went to Jack's Cosmic Dogs first for lunch. It's a hotdog joint right off Rt. 17.  I read about it in Southern Living magazine. The kids and I both said that those were the best hot dogs we've ever had! I had mine with blue cheese cole slaw and sweet potato mustard, the kids had theirs plain. After lunch, we stopped by Charles Pinckney's National Historic Site, across the street from Boone Hall Plantation. Charles Pinckney was one of the founding fathers of our Constitution. The kids had so much fun being outside, chasing each other and collecting leaves. It was a gorgeous day, 59F, sunny, no wind. We went inside Pinckney's house, and got our National Park Passport stamped. Then we went to Ft. Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. We went through all the underground tunnels, looked at all the cannons, climbed up on the observation deck. What a beautiful view of Charleston Harbor, and Ft. Sumter! After that, we drove over to Isle of Palms, looking at the beautiful ocean front homes. We parked at Isle of Palms County Park, and walked over to the beach. We stayed on the beach for a little while, and just played in the sand. It was just so nice and peaceful. Then we drove back to Sullivan's Island for dinner at "Station 22". We sat on the porch, we were the first ones there, they open up at 5:30pm. I had fried oyesters,and the children had chicken tenders. They serve fresh bread with cheese sauce on it! It was out of this world! Abby and I couldn't get enough of it! It was so good! After dinner, we drove back home, and I could tell the kids had so much fun going different places.

1 comment:

  1. this is great! I'm so glad you decided to start with a blog. Can't wait for the holidays and our trip to Charleston with the kids. Wish we could fit all of these places in on one day too.

    ReplyDelete